About UsOur History
History of Pitt & Greene EMC
Pitt & Greene Electric Membership Corporation is a North Carolina Non-profit Corporation located at 3989 West Wilson Street, Farmville, NC.
Its formation began in 1937 for the purpose of providing electric power to undeveloped rural communities with its first homes being energized on March 8, 1938. Construction began on the first Headquarters building in 1953 and completed May 1954. Pitt & Greene was the 14th electrical co-op established in the nation under the US Department of Agriculture, now known as RUS (Rural Utilities Service) with a purpose to promote economic growth throughout rural and small town America.
We currently have 31 employees and serve Pitt, Greene, Lenoir, Wayne, Wilson, and Edgecombe counties. Our average total number of consumers are 8,937 along 1,095 miles of line operated through out the six counties.